Monday, November 7, 2011

Dia De Los Muertos (Day Of The Dead) Figurines




I Created these little Dia De Los Muertos sculptures, they aren't finished yet, I'll post the finished product soon.

 1.  Create an armature of flexible wire, I like to use a 22 gauge floral wire, found at the craft store where they sell floral foam and fun little birds and stuff.  I payed $1.79 for a ton of it.

2.  Cover the wire in sculpey, a common oven bake clay found at the craft store, sculpt and bake as directed.  I used a skull bead for the head, but you can sculpt one as well.

3.  Paint the body black with two coats of craft store acrylic paint, then paint the bones on over the black.

4.  Hot glue the head on the wire neck. I sculpted the hair separately and glued on after baking.

5.  Don't worry if it looks amateur, the traditional ones always do.  In fact my daughter made one that looks just as cool as mine.  It's fun to add extra details to give them special character. I made mine with my hairstyle and a rose in her hair, have fun!

6.  More to come soon.

1 comment: