Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Vintage OKeefe & Merrit Stove

I just found this pic of a 1953 ( I believe ) O Keefe & Merrit Stove.  I have one just like it, I have hopefully just managed to save up enough to get it refurbished.  The guy from Pacific Stove works was telling me that a lady from Montecito  bought a Wolfe stove ten years ago.  The stove needs a thermostat, Wolfe
doesn't make one and there are no alternatives that he knows of for it.  So basically this" top of the line" very, very expensive stove is trash in ten years!  That's some expensive scrap metal.  My stove resided in my kitchen for a few years.  I moved out for a while and my ex husband's friend rented the house, he was at the time the executive chef at Austen's @ The Pierpont.  Although the oven didn't work and it badly needed repair, he told me that it was the best rangetop he had ever cooked on, because the action for the burners was so sensitive that it allowed for perfect temperature control.  Like my 57 Belair, I figure it if I put some money into it and take care of it, it will be around for another 100 years and be worth more than I payed for it in the first place.  Sounds like good economics to me, and meanwhile I get to cook on a stove that's so hot I wish it had a spin cycle!

1 comment: